E-commerce, in simpler terms, means the exchange of goods and services, monetary transactions and the exchange of data over the internet. In the light of the pandemic, more and more organisations are setting up e-commerce sites for the convenience of the consumers as well as a way to grow business. However, e-commerce is not an easy domain to establish and maintaining a site or an application takes a dedicated team of professionals and can add additional cost to the company budget. Therefore, it is advisable to enlist the help of a development service that can help you set up, maintain and scale your business in e-commerce.
E-commerce can be useful to a business in a number of ways. Setting up an e-commerce website or application can help your business reach a global platform. Reaching out to custom e-commerce website development services ensures that you can turn your vision into reality. E-commerce helps you scale your business to include more inventory and get competitor analysis so that you can deliver satisfactory customer service. The e-commerce development services provide you with mobile-friendly eCommerce solutions, a personalized shopping experience and user-friendly navigation allowing you to catch up to the rapidly changing market with improved visibility across social media.
E-commerce software development services also help with the integration of tools in your application for a hassle-free shopping experience. You can bank on custom e-commerce website development services to provide your site with built-in payment gateway integration and seamless API integration allowing your users to navigate through the site or application with ease. With customised themes to suit your needs, a result-oriented approach to e-commerce development, the services ensure that your platform has improved accessibility for your customers. The security of your site including encryption of the payment gateway as well as an upgrade to a better platform is also taken into account when you hire custom e-commerce website development services.
A lot of hidden cost lies in the maintenance of an e-commerce website. With e-commerce software development services, you can ensure that your website is maintained at a consistent pace. The E-commerce software development services provide you with round-the-clock support and maintenance of your website or application to ensure your business keeps running smoothly. The testing phase of any e-commerce website is crucial to the success of the business. Testing weeds out any bugs that may interfere with the functionality of your website. When you hire E-commerce development services, they allot a dedicated team to regular testing of the website before it is released to the public. This ensures that the user does not run into glitches or malfunctions when shopping on your platform.
E-commerce is at a booming stage with many businesses skipping a physical store or warehouse entirely and going straight into e-commerce. Following the upward trend in e-commerce, it has been predicted that the annual warehousing transactions will grow to 76.2 million square feet by March 2026, which is double from 31.7 million square feet in 2021, primarily in the top eight Indian cities. There have been numerous trends recorded keeping the future of e-commerce in mind. Let’s take a look at some of them:
- Augmented Reality improves online shopping: Technology is growing by leaps and bounds. It has been predicted that more e-commerce websites will be using Augmented Reality (AR) to display their products. Customers can get a realistic idea of their purchases with this function. Users have been slowly exposed to AR with more sites using 3D imagery as well as a real-time rendition of how the user would look with a particular dress or accessory.
- Varied modes of payment: Keeping the customer’s needs for differing modes of payment, e-commerce sites are using more variety of payment gateways. Most e-commerce websites let you pay with a medium most comfortable with the user, whether it is credit cards, debit cards or mobile wallets. This is where hiring e-commerce development services help a business secure its payment gateway establishing trust among its customers.
- AI for a personalised experience: AI and machine learning make for a more personalized shopping experience. With AI a business can gauge the search trends of a particular customer and recommend products. AI has a significant advantage over shops as recommending products based on purchase history cannot be carried out in shops.
- Using Big data for seamless customer experience: Despite the controversy surrounding companies collecting data for consumers, people are becoming more aware that their personal data is being collected. Big data allows businesses to recommend products based on their data from other applications. Nowadays most apps ask for permission to collect data and this is slowly becoming the norm in the e-commerce industry.
- Chatbots as salesmen: Chatbots make for a more custom experience, replicating the warmth and care of a shop salesman. Chatbots also help solve minor issues with returns, refunds or contacting customer services for the consumer. This allows the customer to make purchases with fewer inhibitions about the user experience.
- Regular Subscriptions for customers: Most e-commerce giants are introducing subscription plans for customers that grant the customers early access to discounts and offers. This helps ensure a loyal customer base as people are most likely to return to sites where they can get quality products while spending less money.
- The convenience of mobile shopping: Customers prefer convenience over personal interaction. Leveraging the convenience of mobile shopping is a trend that businesses are employing allowing greater customer retention. Mobile shopping allows customers to purchase products from the comfort of their homes. Coupling that with prompt shipping and easy returns mobile shopping is the new trend driving customers towards e-commerce.
- Customers engage with videos: Videos on e-commerce platforms brings in more customer engagement. Videos explaining products helps grab the attention of potential customers. The videos also act as a solution to everyday problems helping customers make an informed choice.
- Sustainability is picking up pace: Sustainability and corporate responsibility have been going hand-in-hand with recent e-commerce trends. Customers, as well as sellers, have made it a priority to use less packaging and resort to environment-friendly packaging for their products.
- Optimization of pages for conversion: Converting a potential customer to a loyal one is perhaps the most difficult part of e-commerce. In the near future, businesses are aiming to further optimize their pages to allow more user conversion.
- Users are using more voice search: With devices flooding the market that allows voice recognition for automated shopping, users are using more voice search to make their purchases. The rise of voice search by consumers to shop online and organize their lives will result in the boom of e-commerce using keywords and content to recommend products.
- Better engagement with customers: As businesses get exposed to new technology, they strive to offer the customer better support and focus on developing relationships with the consumers. The B2B sector is slowly moving away from bulky data and towards swift management of data.
- Omnichannel approach: An omnichannel approach can help businesses gain customers through various platforms. By recognising their customer base and branching to various platforms, businesses can ensure better visibility on a global scale. The approach not only focuses on customer interactions but also on integrating the customer in the process which contributes to a holistic approach in customer engagement.
Despite e-commerce being a promising industry, adequate research should not be overlooked when it comes to making a platform for your business. It is recommended to study the competition before you launch your website. Opt for automatic sync of product and inventory so you can avoid customer dissatisfaction. If you are operating through various channels, it is recommended to set up a system with custom e-commerce website development services to track your sales and supply data.
Working on the responsiveness of your site or application is also an aspect that requires focus. The average customer retention rate depends on how quickly your website or application loads. Aiming for a consistent loading time across devices and operating systems is a good way to ensure the consumer remains on your website. You can also allow for flexibility in the back end and front end with the help of e-commerce software development services, separating the two so that you have more autonomy over each functionality. Consider using more than one analytical tool to determine which approach works best for your business. Use the analytical tools to track overall trends in business so you can compete with a global influencer. Customer feedback will also help you scale your product inventory as well as your interface. Customers are the backbone of the e-commerce sector and customer feedback might help you gain insight into your internal process.
Lastly, do not be afraid to jump on trends that might not be an industry favourite. When you hire e-commerce software development services they help you pick the right trend for your business irrespective of whether your competition is jumping on the trend. It is evident that e-commerce is here to stay and it is never too late to make headway into the industry.