Since they introduced the possibility of getting an e-visa at the end of 2019, many people every day want to travel and discover the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia to discover what used to be one of the most occult countries in the world.
Little by little, it seems that Saudi Arabia is evolving into something positive. However, travelers should be clear that in Saudi, you cannot behave as you would at home, and that is something fundamental to keep in mind:
There is no freedom of speech in Saudi Arabia, and the internet is censored, which means that some websites are blocked. If you want to surf safely and access such censored sites, you must have a VPN.
Why do you need a VPN for Saudi Arabia?
There are two essential elements to keep in mind about the internet in Saudi Arabia:
- The internet is censored, meaning that some pages are blocked.
- The government can control everything you do online. This means that you need a VPN to surf more securely and privately and access all the blocked pages. It allows you to connect to a server outside the country, so your connection becomes anonymous, and neither hackers nor the Saudi authorities can realize what you are doing.
The VPN allows you to select the country you want to connect to, and if, for example, you were to choose England, then you would be able to access any page for the simple reason that it is not blocked in England.
Furthermore, your connection would be anonymous and secure.
How can a VPN service in Saudi Arabia or the Middle East help you?
- To access streaming services such as Netflix or HBO. These services are not blocked, but as you know, the content of these sites varies significantly from country to country, so your favorite series may not be available in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
- When you connect to a VPN, you can see all the content available in your country of origin.
- It would help if you had a VPN to access video or online games. For example, suppose you travel to Bahrain or any other Saudi country and want to play poker online or any other game. In that case, you must install a VPN because otherwise, you cannot open the website. Finally, after installing a good VPN, you can enjoy the best online casinos in Bahrain without any problem. However, don’t forget to follow some easy steps before you start playing: first, use a secure VPN. Then, use the correct payment method. Lastly, pick only recommended online casinos, which are explained on trustworthy comparison platforms.
How to choose your VPN
The only features that matter when choosing a VPN are:
- Speed (a VPN slows down the connection)
- Number of countries to which you can connect
On the other hand, all good and verified VPNs meet the following characteristics:
- They are effortless to use – even my mother would know how to use them.
- They work for both mobile and computer.
- Available for Android and iPhone.
- They are compatible with Netflix, although bear in mind that Netflix is very good at detecting VPNs and that depending on the server you try to connect to, it may not work; this happens with all VPNs.
Is it legal to use a VPN in Saudi Arabia?
VPN use in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia is complicated, and it is said that it is only against the law if people use it for illegal activities.
They say that around 30% of those who use the internet in Saudi Arabia are always connected to a VPN.
So, is it safe?
Yes, it is; as long as you are not an activist organizing protests or creating content against the government, no one will care, especially if you are a foreigner.
Why should you never use a free VPN for Saudi?
Here are the reasons:
– Low speed.
– They usually only work on mobile
– Not very secure, which means less anonymity
– Lots of ads
– You cannot select the country
Using a VPN is the only way to access a lot of online information if you travel in the Middle East, although not all countries have the same restrictions. Choose your VPN wisely and start browsing carefully on the websites you are most interested in.